Tuesday, February 5, 2008

New work

I designed these vessels... or mass-els (thanks D Schafer) from a profile of a traditional Korean vase form. Each piece uses the same profile, but using a different shape as the footprint. Thirty-two 1/8" slices of MDF were cut on a laser plotter, then assembled and smoothed with wood filler. It was my original intention for these prototypes to be used for a plaster mold, and eventually cast in porcelain. However, I am more interested now in the forms in their solid, unfinished state.



These six paintings were shown in my last critique, along with the laser-cut vessels above. The idea of understanding and constructing form between two and three dimensions, as well as an interest in developing systems and templates for realizing form has been consistent in my painting, sculpture and design work.

No comments: